Singapore, 9 January 2017 – The Honourable the Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon today announced the appointment of three new Senior Counsel at the Opening of Legal Year today. They are:
- (1) Mr Edmund Leow Hock Meng (廖学铭) who was admitted as an advocate and solicitor on 13 March 1996;
- (2) Second Solicitor-General Mr Kwek Mean Luck (郭民力) who was admitted as an advocate and solicitor on 8 May 2002; and
- (3) Mr Ng Yong Kiat Francis (黄永吉) who was admitted as an advocate and solicitor on 13 September 2006.
Applications for Senior Counsel were opened on 1 August 2016. The Senior Counsel Selection Committee comprises of The Honourable the Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, The Honourable Attorney-General V K Rajah, SC, The Honourable Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin, The Honourable Judge of Appeal Andrew Phang Boon Leong, The Honourable Judge of Appeal Judith Prakash and The Honourable Judge of Appeal Tay Yong Kwang.
Background on appointment of Senior Counsel
Senior Counsel are selected, pursuant to section 30 of the Legal Profession Act, Cap 161, by a Selection Committee. The Senior Counsel scheme was started in 1997 to recognise the best and most skilful advocates in the legal profession. Appointment as Senior Counsel is an accolade given to those who possess outstanding ability as advocates, extensive knowledge of the law and the highest professional standing.
As at 9 January 2017, 63* Senior Counsel have been appointed.
Note to editor:
1) *This figure includes 2 Senior Counsel (honoris causa) but excludes:
(a) 11 Supreme Court Judges (including The Honourable the Chief Justice);
(b) 2 Judicial Commissioners;
(c) 1 State Court Judge; and
(d) 3 deceased Senior Counsel (Pala Krishnan, KS Rajah and Tan Boon Teik).
2) Persons holding office as Solicitor-General and Attorney-General are appointed Senior Counsel pursuant to sections 30(7) and 30(8) of the Legal Profession Act.
3) Senior Counsel who are appointed to a judicial office (other than as a judge of the Supreme Court) will cease to use the Senior Counsel designation for the period of service in judicial office. Senior Counsel appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court will cease to use the designation altogether (unless he is appointed Attorney-General).
4) The list of Senior Counsel can be found at http://www.sal.org.sg//Services/Appointments/Senior-Counsel/Directory
About The Singapore Academy of Law
SAL is a promotion and development agency for Singapore’s legal industry, with the vision of making Singapore the legal hub of Asia.
SAL aims to drive legal excellence through developing thought leadership, world class infrastructure and legal solutions. Its work focuses on building up the intellectual capital of the legal profession by enhancing legal knowledge, raising the international profile of Singapore law, promoting Singapore as a centre for dispute resolution and improving the standards and efficiency of legal practice through continuing professional development and the use of technology.
As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services, appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
SAL is headed by The Honourable the Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon. SAL has over 12,000 members comprising members of the Bench, the Bar, Legal Service Officers, corporate counsel, legal academics and foreign lawyers.