Singapore, 8 January 2018 – The Honourable the Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon announced the appointment of 1 new Senior Counsel at the Opening of Legal Year today. She is Ms Kuah Boon Theng (柯文婷女士) who was admitted as an advocate and solicitor on 23 March 1991.
Applications for Senior Counsel were opened on 1 August 2017. The Senior Counsel Selection Committee comprises of The Honourable the Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, The Honourable Attorney-General Lucien Wong, SC, The Honourable Justice Andrew Phang, JA, The Honourable Justice Judith Prakash, JA, The Honourable Justice Tay Yong Kwang, JA and The Honourable Justice Steven Chong, JA.
Background on appointment of Senior Counsel
Senior Counsel are selected, pursuant to section 30 of the Legal Profession Act, Cap 161, by a Selection Committee. The Senior Counsel scheme was started in 1997 to recognise the best and most skilful advocates in the legal profession. Appointment as Senior Counsel is an accolade given to those who possess outstanding ability as advocates, extensive knowledge of the law and the highest professional standing.
As at 8 January 2018, 63* Senior Counsel have been appointed.
Note to editor:
1) *This figure includes 2 Senior Counsel (honoris causa) but excludes:
- 13 Supreme Court Judges (including The Honourable the Chief Justice);
- 1 State Court Judge; and
- 4 deceased Senior Counsel (Pala Krishnan, KS Rajah, Tan Boon Teik and Joseph Grimberg).
2) Persons holding office as Solicitor-General and Attorney-General are appointed Senior Counsel pursuant to sections 30(7) and 30(8) of the Legal Profession Act.
3) Senior Counsel who are appointed to a judicial office (other than as a judge of the Supreme Court) will cease to use the Senior Counsel designation for the period of service in judicial office. Senior Counsel appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court will cease to use the designation altogether (unless he is appointed Attorney-General).
4) The list of Senior Counsel can be found at: https://www.sal.org.sg/Services/Appointments/Senior-Counsel/Directory.
About the Singapore Academy of Law
The Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) is a promotion and development agency for Singapore’s legal industry. Our vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia.
SAL works with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world class infrastructure and legal solutions. Our mandates are to build up the intellectual capital of the legal profession by enhancing legal knowledge, raise the international profile of Singapore law, promote Singapore as a centre for dispute resolution, and improve the standards and efficiency of legal practice through continuing professional development and the use of technology.
As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services and appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
SAL is led by a Senate headed by Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, and comprising the Attorney-General, the Supreme Court Bench and key leaders of the various branches of the legal profession. It has more than 12,000 members, including the Bench, all persons who are called as advocates and solicitors of the Supreme Court (i.e. the Bar) or appointed as Legal Service Officers, corporate counsel, faculty members of the three local law schools (i.e. National University of Singapore, Singapore Management University and Singapore University of Social Sciences) and foreign lawyers in Singapore.
More information can be found at www.sal.org.sg.
8 January 2018:
The Straits Times - Medical law veteran named senior counsel
The Business Times - Medical law and ethics lawyer Kuah Boon Theng appointed senior counsel
TODAY - Range of sentencing options to be more closely considered by AGC
Lianhe Zaobao - 司法年开幕 大法官宣布探讨家事法律援助计划