EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (ASIAN BUSINESS LAW INSTITUTE) AND DIRECTOR (RESEARCH)
Singapore Academy of Law
We are looking to appoint a proven leader to bring together SAL’s existing legal research, industry analysis, law reform and promotion of Singapore law activities with the projects undertaken by SAL’s subsidiary the Asian Business Law Institute (ABLI).
Working directly with the Chief Executive, SAL’s leadership team and senior legal industry representatives, the role will drive SAL’s contributions to and development of national and international legal research in areas of strategic importance for the development and promotion of Singapore legal thought.
(A) Research & Analysis:
Formulating and executing strategies to establish SAL’s legal research and industry analysis to fulfil the following objectives:
- Facilitate greater coordination and opportunities for collaboration on legal research and law reform initiatives with local stakeholders and international partners.
- Promote the profile of Singapore as a global legal solutions hub.
- Consider research proposals or reform in areas of concern to SAL members and new cutting-edge areas (e.g. AI generated derivative works).
- Formulate and propose areas of focus to a commissioning/advisory panel.
- Create and manage specialist working groups and advisory panels to assist in development of research or reforms.
- Facilitate research or reform through discussions of issues.
- Represent SAL/ABLI in relevant Singapore government committees as required.
(B) Representation & Advocacy
Formulating and executing strategies to drive convergence of Asian commercial laws and promote awareness of Singapore commercial laws to fulfil the following objectives:
- Establish ABLI as the go-to regional think-tank for deep research and practical guidance to facilitate cross-border commercial transactions in Asia.
- Represent ABLI in local and international consultations and forums to raise awareness of and inform the work of ABLI beyond current projects.
- Cultivate business networks and research partnerships with key government, business, legal, and academic thought leaders relevant to the work of ABLI.
- Establish outcomes and key results metrics for the work of ABLI and implement a reporting and continuous review process to keep key partners/stakeholders engaged and updated on ABLI’s progress in advancing its mission.
- Ensure that ABLI upholds good corporate governance and continues to be financially-sustainable in its operations.
- Develop and execute plans (e.g. fundraising, monetisation of Intellectual Property) to financially support ABLI’s mission.
- Develop and execute projects to drive promotion of Singapore Law
(C) Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership and coaching to teams.
- Monitor and ensure the attainment of agreed outcomes and key results .
- Maintain oversight of activity and output of various research projects/ teams and provide guidance as required.
- Oversee financial management and resource planning to run the team effectively and in compliance with SAL’s governance structures and policies.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated skills in evaluation, analysis, insight and policy development;
- A track record of supporting and influencing internal and external stakeholders, and local and international partners, across varying levels of seniority;
- Substantial experience participating in speaking engagements and interacting with media;
- Experience in strategic planning and management of professional /expert teams or organisations;
- Commitment to supporting and developing colleagues to succeed with creativity, energy and rigour;
- At least 10 years’ working experience in the legal industry with an advanced degree in the law (preferably in one or more of the following areas: commercial law, international trade, technology law);
- Experience working in research institutions, think-tanks or policy units will be an advantage.
How to apply:
Making Singapore the legal hub of Asia is the vision that we serve. We bring our vision to life through collaboration, creativity, technology and talent. We have some of the best minds from Bench, Bar, Business and Academia shaping our projects which drive thought leadership in the law, enable future skills in legal professionals, and create new technologies, tools and processes for enhancing legal services delivery. If this sounds like a lot, it is. If it sounds like hard work, it is. It is also frequently fun and almost always rewarding. If you enjoy working as part of a diverse team to generate the best possible ideas – all while respecting and encouraging differing opinions, then SAL may be just the place for you.
Interested candidates are invited to submit your resume, stating your current / expected salary and date of availability to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.