The Singapore Academy of Law’s vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia. We work with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world-class infrastructure and legal solutions. As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services and appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
About the role
SAL is on a growth transformation journey which has seen it add new functions and depth to its organisation. As part of this growth, the role of professional affairs & strategic partnerships was set up to centrally strategize and coordinate SAL’s stakeholder management.
Your role will be to strategize, oversee and manage SAL’s partnerships across Government, Judiciary, public service, industry partners, interest-group committees and other key stakeholders. As a professional affairs director you will,
- Work closely with the Director to ensure the efficacy and effectiveness of strategic partnerships and delivering success in positioning SAL as the partner of choice.
- Provide policy inputs, written works and position SAL to assist in advocacy efforts. The objective will be to grow our partnerships into healthy collaborations that serve our mission and extract good value for SAL’s 15,000 members.
- Develop strategic engagement plans to persuade Government stakeholders on Industry interests and guide other teams in SAL how best to navigate policy issues and bureaucracy to meet our desired outcomes. You will need to be persuasive and meticulous as you will be expected to front engagements to drive our agenda forward.
- Maintain a healthy network of partners across Government, Judiciary, public service and industry to assist team members to drive projects and/or outcomes.
- Continuously stay updated on new policies/programmes that may affect the legal industry and our members.
- Work with the relevant team members to either update our leaders and/or respond to defend industry’s interests
- Write frequently either for position papers, speeches, releases, or briefs etc. Hence you should possess good flair for writing, being structured and being persuasive.
- Oversee & support SAL’s transformation projects being run by various teams to ensure that projects are on schedule, well-tracked and documented and continue to meet deliverables.
- Support the development and execution of engagement plans for strategic stakeholders;
- Work across teams to coordinate engagements to ensure alignment with SAL’s overarching partnership strategy;
- Work closely with relevant teams to engage partners in dialogue, pitches, and negotiations to further our interests;
- Stay updated on relevant government policies, programmes and direction and advice leadership accordingly;
- Undertake written works to further advocacy efforts;
- Serve as key project manager to oversee SAL’s transformation projects. Engaged with relevant teams to ensure projects are aligned to plans, help overcome roadblocks and assist where necessary.
- manage project documentations and deliverables for management reporting;
- Augment and communicate SAL’s advocacy and/or feedback industry’s positions on relevant policies.
Professional Affairs Committee (PAC)
Co-partner the Professional Affairs Committee (PAC) and support efforts such as the following, but not limited to: -
- Represent SAL in all chapters of PAC;
- Provide effective secretariat support towards accomplishment of the work plans of the various chapters of the PAC – corporate counsel chapter, criminal justice chapter, family law and children’s rights chapter, foreign lawyers chapter, professional development and practice chapter, professional values chapter, small law firms chapter, young members chapter.
- Lead and accomplish key PAC initiatives including the SAL-INSEAD Legal Leadership Programme, Essex Court-SAL International Mooting competition, Christopher Bathurst essay competition etc.
- Responsible for marketing and events management, provision of secretariat services to the committee and chapter members and ensuring that relevant website content is current and improves members’ experience.
Awards, Prizes and Scholarships
- Collaborate and champion the efforts towards fulfillment of SAL’s commitments to awards, prizes and scholarships that seek to recognise and encourage the best and brightest in our legal profession.
Skills and Qualifications
- A Degree holder with eight (8) years of relevant work experience in one of the following fields: (1) Government Ministry/Statutory Board; (2) Professional affairs roles; (3) Partnership/Stakeholder management roles; or (4) Trade Association and Chambers, would be preferable.
- Exposure to legal training or with experience interfacing with members of the legal community would be ideal. Individuals with a keen interest to develop in this area would also be considered.
- Candidates must have excellent analytical and good writing skills, the ability to plan & execute regular initiatives and events, and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Possess strong communication skills, including presentation, storytelling, negotiation and persuasion
- Demonstrates strong stakeholder management skills and confidence in engaging senior management and officers at all levels
- Excellent time management and organisational skill
- Self-disciplined and can work independently
- Collaborative mindset
- Entrepreneurial drive and a desire to build initiatives that deliver impact and improve customers’ experience
Interested candidates are invited to apply here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.