Making Singapore the legal hub of Asia is the vision that we serve. We bring our vision to life through collaboration, creativity, technology and talent. We have some of the best minds from Bench, Bar, Business and Academia shaping our projects which drive thought leadership in the law, enable future skills in legal professionals, and create new technologies, tools and processes for enhancing legal services delivery. If this sounds like a lot, it is. If it sounds like hard work, it is. It is also frequently fun and almost always rewarding. If you enjoy working as part of a diverse team to generate the best possible ideas – all while respecting and encouraging differing opinions, then SAL may be just the place for you.
Report to Chief Legal Officer, Singapore Academy of Law (SAL)
- Manage and oversee SAL Group’s legal, compliance and governance risks. Partner with SAL teams to provide timely and commercially-sensible legal and regulatory advice on SAL Group matters. These include commercial transactions, corporate governance, employment matters, dispute resolution support and statutory compliance issues.
- Undertake review and development of standard contractual documentation with internal SAL stakeholders to improve consistency and efficiency of service delivery. Develop clear guidelines for deviation from SAL’s standard legal terms and conditions.
- Provide guidance and education to SAL colleagues regarding legal and regulatory matters.
- Provide crisis management support as required.
(A) Legal and Compliance Policies
- Manage legal risks and issues relating to SAL Group matters. Where required, a panel of external legal advisors may be consulted.
- Manage and implement the rationalisation of legal and compliance policies of the SAL Group to strengthen governance and risk management.
(B) Legal Documentation Streamlining and Automation
- Manage and oversee the development of SAL standard form agreements for use by any entity within the SAL Group and automation of the same.
- Develop a central repository of all agreements executed by any entity within the SAL Group.
- Manage and oversee the development of “self-service” SAL standard form agreements for use by any entity within SAL Group based on risk factors with clear guidelines for use by non-legal colleagues.
- Share best practices on legal documentation streamlining and automation with SAL members and colleagues.
- Recommend adoption of suitable legal technology products to improve efficiency and accuracy.
(C) Data Protection
- Serve as SAL’s Data Protection Officer (“DPO”).
- Oversee SAL’s data protection framework and programme, including policies, procedures and processes and conduct regular training for all employees.
- Liaise with PDPC, auditors and consultants on matters relating to data protection.
- Ensure compliance with relevant data protection laws and regulations, internal policies, procedures and processes, conducting audits, and reporting on data incidents.
- Advise on data governance and innovation matters and facilitate data innovation by translating personal data protection requirements into data protection by design processes.
- Advise on data protection laws, regulations, guidelines and contractual obligations.
(D) Corporate Secretarial
- Draft, review and advise on any resolution to be passed by the SAL Senate, Executive Board and subsidiaries.
- Ensure all regulatory filing deadlines (e.g. ACRA filing) are met.
- A law degree from a recognised University with minimum 5 years’ experience in the legal sector (preferably corporate practice and in-house experience). APAC experience is a plus.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of commercial and corporate law, including the Personal Data Protection Act.
- Financial literacy and commercial acumen is preferred.
- Interest in working in a growing technology-enabled environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong presentation and negotiating skills.
- Genuine interest in being a people manager. Prior managerial experience is a plus.
- Collaborate well in teams across disciplines.
- Able to work independently when required, to prioritise, project manage and work well under pressure.
Interested candidates are invited to apply here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified