The Singapore Academy of Law’s vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia. We work with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world-class infrastructure and legal solutions. As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services and appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
SAL Academy Publishing, formed in 2007, curates and publishes both primary and secondary legal materials to nurture the learning environment and catalyse new ideas. Our vision is to build and aggregate Singapore legal literature for the Singapore legal profession.
Through our law reports, law books and academic journals, available both via print and online, we aim to:
- disseminate the laws of Singapore to a wider public in the region and internationally;
- provide affordable legal materials to the legal profession; and
- offer an alternative avenue to the academics in our law schools to publish their research, thereby raising awareness of their work and encouraging the exchange of ideas critical to the advancement of legal knowledge and research
We are seeking a creative, forward-looking and organised Commissioning Editor to join the Commissioning Team.
1. Content Creation:
- Create compelling content for print and digital publications through commissioning, acquiring, and writing content
- Conduct horizon-scanning research to identify growth opportunities and content enhancements within the field, both locally and regionally.
- Collaborate with the Commissioning Team to identify and improve existing content for adaptation.
- Contribute to the conceptualisation of new content or products.
- Helping the Team to determine the angle, scope, and depth of coverage for content offerings.
- Proactively research new topics and areas of law that promote Singapore law locally and regionally.
- Assist the Team in their continuous improvement effort to enhance content relevance, reliability, and serviceability.
- Ensure that content is delivered within scope and timeline
2. Stakeholder Engagement:
- Engage in regular market reviews to gather feedback and assess the viability of product offering by SAL.
- Collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders, authors, partners, and content providers:
- Establish relationships with authors and contributors to understand requirements and project strategies.
- Monitor and facilitate requests from contributors/authors to ensure successful project outcomes.
- Organize subprojects and work streams, engaging subject matter experts as needed
- Coordinate with various teams on technical and operational matters related to content mediums.
- Work with the Sales & Marketing Team to provide input for marketing collaterals and ensure that content offerings are sufficiently promoted/marketed.
3. Quality Assurance:
- Review content deliverables for plagiarism and quality.
- Evaluate content quality, in consultation with experts and stakeholders.
- Working with authors to improve the content; providing constructive feedback on the writing; where applicable, highlighting content that could be included; where necessary, helping the authors to better express their concepts and discussion points. Always ensuring the manuscript is of high quality for publication
- Provide periodic progress reports.
- Assist in administrative matters for reports and meeting notes.
Skills and Qualifications
- A Degree in Law with at least 3 years' PQE
- An enjoyment of legal writing and research
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good interpersonal, writing, communication, and presentation skills
- A self-starter with drive, initiative, and a big picture perspective
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to liaise effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Strong multitasking and analytical skills
- Ability to stay up-to-date with current legal trends, and the legal publishing landscape
- Have an understanding of SEO and social media
- Candidates with an interest in legal publishing and familiarity with digital publishing would have an advantage
- Applicants without any experience will be considered if they show aptitude
Interested candidates are invited to apply here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.