The Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) is headed by the Senate with Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon as President, and the Attorney-General, the Supreme Court Bench and key leaders of the various branches of the legal profession, as members. The day-to-day running of SAL comes under the Secretariat headed by SAL’s Chief Executive, Mr Rama Tiwari.
The work of SAL is largely driven by a 12-member SAL Executive Board which focuses on five key areas:
- Legal Education: Through virtual and offline conferences, seminars and workshops, the Legal Education cluster develops the professional capabilities of the sector. The cluster is guided by its own Legal Industry Framework for Training and Education (LIFTED), which charts a course forward for the profession.
- Legal Publishing and Knowledge: With a view to growing the knowledge of the profession, this cluster publishes and disseminates primary and secondary content related to the law, past and present. This is done through the journals and books of Academy Publishing as well as its research portal LawNet.
- Legal Thought Leadership: Developing Singapore Law and advancing legal research: that is the raison d’etre of the Legal Thought Leadership cluster. It leads law reform and legal research projects, and facilitates the promotion of Singapore Law, among other areas.
- Group Transformation and Technology: The cluster explores processes and strategies that will refresh the delivery of the Academy’s products and services. It also drives much of SAL’s tech activities and oversees the management and development of LawNet.
- Corporate Development and Statutory Services: The cluster comprises Corporate Development and Statutory Services. The Corporate Development arm ensures the smooth running of the Academy’s internal corporate machinery comprising finance, business partnering and risk management, organisational development and human resource, business process re-engineering, and corporate communications. Statutory Services oversees member relations, authentication services, the appointment of Commissioner for Oaths and Notaries Public, Stakeholding, the SAL Wills Registry and legalisation services.
SAL has three subsidiaries: the Singapore Mediation Centre, the Asian Business Law Institute and SAL Ventures Ltd.